About Me

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ramadan we hardly knew you...making the most of the last days

"30 days of fasting for 14 hours, it's going to be long Ramadan!" And now I'm scrambling to make the most of the last days of the blessed month as it draws to a close. How did the days just fly by? The last ten days are the holiest and blessed days when worshipers keep vigil of the night in supplication and prayer. I've stayed awake one night at the beginning of Ramadan and am looking forward to another community qiyam this weekend. The communal gatherings are wonderful and provide support for continuing striving towards God, however I find worship to be the most powerful when done alone. I'm an introvert and find people around me to be distracting at times. I become conscious of my actions and that's not conducive to reflection and supplication. I have already set goals in increasing my worship even more for the last days.

Qiyam. copyright fana, 2012
The purpose of Ramadan is to be spiritually uplifted and feel peace and closeness with God. To go a little beyond than what is normally done. My goal this Ramadan is to finish reciting the Quran, I'm really excited that I will be able to accomplish this for the first time ever. I am also taking the time to read the meaning and reflect upon the verses of the Qur'an to better connect with the book and take away a lesson. A simple way to make the most of the last days is to increase whatever good you do by just a little more. The extra push helps to be more conscious of our actions which leads to consciousness of God, or taqwa. Giving in charity, helping others, feeding your family and friends, and making extra supplication are all things that will help in reaching that goal. I pray that everyone out there who observes Ramadan makes the most of the last days and reaches their goal!



                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment